Twenty years ago David Harlow started a non-standard motor broker called Insure your motor and built it up over the next twelve years into a company with a GWP of over £50M and a staff of circa 130. Along the way, he was joined by Craig Dunckley (now Managing Director of Quote Detective) and Gareth Evans (now Pricing Director).
When David sold the business in 2012 the three kept in touch and believed that there were still opportunities to build a bigger, better and more customer focussed organisation. So David came out of hibernation and the others left Brightside where they’d be working to start work on Quote Detective.
The team were convinced that the future of non-standard broking was a hybrid of good old fashioned broking (quality and service) and cutting edge technology giving the best possible prices. They looked at existing software houses but found many limitations:
- Other brokers all had the same basic rates and would fight each other to the top of comparison sites by just knocking off their commission.
- Non-standard risks were poorly served and incorrectly priced
- Aggregator pricing was wrong because brokers weren’t performing validation or linking into real-time MI
- On the complex risks customers were getting little choice as brokers opted out.
Quote Detective therefore decided to partner with Next Venture to design and build something special – a system which allowed us to quote on complex niche motor risks without the restrictions of a standard software house. Coupled with a highly efficient back-office system this made the new operation unique.
Whereas many brokers are limited to churning out standard rates our system is bespoke and obtains pricing information from:
- Software houses
- Insurer hosted portals
- Bespoke insurer pricing
- Enrichment and validation
Back office abilities
- An enhanced internal question set ensuring accurate quoting on non-standard risks
- Streamlined referrals to suit each insurer
- Combining multiple quotes
- Ability to add/modify questions at the insurer’s request